It is hard to believe that we are nearing the 1/3 way point of the season already. I protest!
- No one has stood out as the best team/teams in America.
- Ohio has looked meh, MSU has outplayed them but both teams won very close games this weekend to Indiana and Purdue respectively (for the record, both IU and Purdue give Ohio and MSU tough times every year for some reason).
- Ole Miss lost to Florida so I am not sure who stands out in the SEC. TCU has not played very well until this week against Texas.
- Baylor looks good I guess but until Texas Tech (sort-of), who have they played?
- The Pac-12… they are overrated (I will touch on that later)
- Michigan. Yes this is a homer pick, but who honestly expected what they have done. I think looking at the schedule we are exactly where we were supposed to be, but we just completed 2 straight shutouts for the first time since 2000 (mid-Lloys Carr era). Also, we have given up just 7 points in 15 quarters and other than the opener against Utah, we have given up just 14 points in 4 games. They’ve had more INT by one player this season than they did as a team last season! THIS is Michigan defense. But did anyone expect this to happen? I knew our D was good, but I did not expect to see it this way. The only thing missing is a dominant offense. Ruddock has come a long way, but still has a ways to go to get Michigan competing at a top level.
- Utah: Yup, Michigan’s loss is not looking so bad for us! They absolutely dismantled Oregon in Eugene! That just does not happen!
- The Pac-12. Did anyone expect them to be as awful as they appear? I think we expected Oregon to fall off and they have.
- But Stanford lost to NW but they are now looking like a wrecking ball.
- For some reason the “Experts” were high on USC but they got beat badly against Stanford at home.
- Arizona State has 2 loses (AT Texas A&M and home against USC but managed to beat UCLA in Pasedena
- UCLA lost to AZ State and has a true freshman QB but they dismantled Arizona (who is not that good…. Rich Rod)
- The Pac-12 may be settled by the winner of the Utah-Stanford game because none of the south teams seem too great
My top 10:
OK I am going to get on the Northwestern train for just a moment. I want Northwestern in the top teams of football talk. Week 1 they destroyed Stanford. I mean, if you watched the game, Stanford looked like a high school JV team. Now Stanford is running around the Pac 12 killing everyone in sight. So you could say that Northwestern is better than the Pac 12. There are other non-first degree connections I could say about the Pac 12, but I’ll stay on point. Northwestern beat Minnesota this week, again badly. Not only was Minnesota supposed to be the team to beat in the West, they played TCU tough. I’d love to see Northwestern’s defense vs Baylor or TCU’s offense. Actually, the game I would love to see isn’t on the schedule. I think Northwestern could beat Ohio, convincingly. Perhaps even Michigan State. If Northwestern gets past Michigan next week in Ann Arbor, I think they will come out of the B1G West and get that matchup with MSU (I think MSU will win the head-to-head against Ohio) in the title game. The schedule NW has left is pretty easy. I think Michigan and Iowa will be the two tough games left for them.
So if I were giving my top 5, it will be this:
I promise, you will NEVER see this Top 5 anywhere else.
What say you?